Every day, hackers and data thefts manage to find a new security flaw in older versions of software and applications. On the other hand, software and device manufactures are consistantly updating their applications to protect users. Additionally, new updates are made to allow users access to more features and functionality than ever before.
To ensure your mobile device is secure, always be sure you are using the latest updates of both your Operating System and your Applications & Games. Detailed below are step-by-step instructions on how to check for updates on the four most used smartphones. To be sure your informate stays secure remember to check for app updates once a week & system updates once a month.
You should check for application updates at least once a week, depending on how many you have installed.
1. The easiest weay to update your Applications is to open the Market app from your applications menu.
2. Once in the Market, select "My Apps"
3. The My Apps screen will display all of the applications you currently have installed on your device. From here you can see which applications need to be updated, or you can select "update all" from the top navigation. You apps will be updates and installed automatically.
(Note: From this screen you can also manage, rate, and comment on your apps. Be sure you remove apps that take up too much space or you don't use often)
You should check for system updates at least once a month.
1. From the home screen open the Applications menu and open the Settings Application
2. Scroll to the bottom and select "About Phone" (In the About Phone menu, you can view all the important information of your phone: Model number, System verison, status, etc.)
3. At the top of the About Phone menu is the System Updates button. Click this and your phone will remotely check for the new update. If you are missing the new update, it will automatically be installed.
1. On your iPhone home screen open the App Store menu
2. Once the App Store opens, tap the "Updates" icon in the bottom-right corner. The number in red will tell you how many updates are available.
3. Now, you can either individually select Applications you wish to update or you can select "Update All" from the top right corner.
4. Your iPhone will automatically download and install updates for all your apps.
NOTE: If you have a lot of updates, or if you have applications over 10MB you may need to be connected to a Wi-Fi Hotspot in order to complete the process. (Remember to use a secured wireless network!)
1. Launch iTunes and click on "Applications" in the left navigation. If there is a number in red, that is the number of available applications.
2. You will need to download the updated applications to your computer via iTunes. Near the bottom of the Applications screen will tell you how many updates are available.
3. Click and choose the updates you would like to install. Follow the on-screen directions to complete the download.
4. Connect your iPhone to the computer and click "Sync", this will sync all updated applications to your iPhone
Before checking for updates, make sure you are running the latest version of iTunes on your Mac or PC. To update iTunes from your home, go to the "Help" menu and select "Check for Updates." Once you have the latest version of iTunes, follow the steps below to update your iPhone Software:
1. Open iTunes from you Mac or PC and then connect the iPhone device to your computer.
2. When iTunes recognizes your device, a phone icon will appear on the left navigation. Double-click this icon to open the iPhone Summary screen.
3. On this screen, you will see a section in the middle labeled "Version". In this section, click the button that says "Check for Update" on the right.
4. The new software version will prompt you to "Download and Install".
5. Once you have accepted the license agreement, your update will be downloaded and automatically installed. Do not remove your iPhone until you are instructed to do so.
To check for the latest update please visit the Apple website:
1. To check for updates, scroll to your Marketplace live tile. If there are available updates, your marketplace tile will have a white number on the right side indicating the number of updates available.
2. Tap the Marketplace icon to open the marketplace app
3. In the lower left corner of the sceen will be the same number indicating the number of updates. Tap this to open a list of installed applications
4. From this list you can select to update individual apps or you can click "update all" in the bottom right
NOTE: If you update all apps remember before to charge your phone as this process could take some time
To update Windows Phone devices, you will need to have the lastest verison of Zune software on your PC or Windows Phone 7 Connector on your Mac. Like iTunes for the iPhone, you should check for software updates before checking for updates to your phone.
1. To check for updates, start by going to the App list on your Windows device. Tap Settings and then Phone Update. If there is an available update then proceed, if not you can select "Notify me when new updates are found" or simply exit.
2. Connect your phone to your computer. If the Zune software or Windows Phone 7 Connector doesn't start automatically, start it manually.
3. Click "Update Now" in the Zune software, or "Install Updates" from the Windows Phone 7 Connector.
4. To update your phone, the software will automatically back up your data. Do not cancel this process or disconnect your phone.
5. After creating a backup, your update will automatically download and install. Do not remove your phone until the process is complete.
For more information visit the Windows Phone help website: